General Volunteer Guidelines
- Must be at least 15 years of age
- Volunteering involves moderate physical activity. Make sure you are comfortable with the physicality of the role you have selected
- Volunteers do not need to have previous horse experience but a level of comfort with horses is necessary
- Volunteers must be available a minimum of 1 hour per week (same day and time each week)
- ALL volunteers are required attending a Volunteer Orientation and Training session
- ALL volunteers wanting to be leaders or work in the barn must attend Leader/Barn Training once a year
- Mitey Riders reserves the right to make the final determination as to the appropriateness of volunteers for our organization
- Mitey Riders does enforce a dress code to ensure the ability of volunteers to perform in their roles as well as to set examples for our riders.
Horse Leaders and Sidewalkers Guidelines:
- Leaders must be at least 16 years of age
- LEADERS are responsible for the horse at all times while leading. (During mount and dismount, and during the lesson)
- SIDEWALKERS are responsible for the stability and safety of the rider while mounted at all times (Generally walking beside the rider to provide stability assistance as needed and may assist with mount and dismount if required)
- Time commitment is 1 and a half hours per week for the length of the session
- Arrive at least fifteen minutes prior to class
- When you’re in the arena, the instructor is in charge
- If you have suggestions or ideas, talk with the class Instructor or Volunteer Coordinator
- Return all equipment used to its place
- Keep talking to a minimum this lets you and others listen and pay attention to the Instructor’s directions
- When in doubt, ask!
Dress Code Guidelines:
- Hard-soled shoes with a low heel are preferred but sneakers with heavy tread are OK
- Shoes must be tied securely
- Open-toed shoes, sandals, and slip-on shoes are not permitted
- Dress appropriate for the Weather; dressing in layers is often a good choice
- No tops with spaghetti straps/shelf bras. Proper undergarments must be worn and tank tops must have thick straps and cannot be too low in the front.
- Shirts must cover your stomach/back.
- No t-shirts with beer/alcohol/drug references or foul language.
- Shorts must be at mid-thigh or longer (No skirts please!)
- Please no perfume or colognes
- Please no dangling jewelry
Consistency is extremely important in keeping our programs progressive and running smoothly. Every volunteer is encouraged to have a regular schedule for the length of the session in the day(s) and hour(s) they volunteer. As dependability is essential, be sure to contact the Volunteer Coordinator as soon as you are aware of any circumstances that will delay/keep you from your scheduled lesson time(s).