Mitey Riders is currently only accepting horses in our Mitey Rider Lease Program, aged 18 years or less. We do not currently accept out-right horse donations. Please fill out the Horse Lease Application below and submit it to the farm for your horse to be considered for our program.
The ideal therapy horse is sound, has an unflappable temperament and patient demeanor. Our horses have come from many different backgrounds including show horses, school horses and family pets. If you have a horse (or horses) you’d like us to consider, please read our therapy horse criteria below to see if your horse fits the bill!
Each horse donated/leased to Mitey Riders must:
- Be unflappable (nothing bothers them)
- Have full and complete vision
- Have a solid, strong back
- Be forgiving of an inexperienced and unbalanced rider
- Be between 8 and 18 years of age*
- Be completely sound in all four limbs. It is essential that our horses have a free-moving stride at the walk, trot, and canter and is capable of smooth transitions.
- Be well trained under saddle to respond to all four aids: hands, feet, seat and voice
- Be comfortable around a variety of people
- Be comfortable at a tie rail
Any records or additional information that you may have, such as registration papers, health records, photos, and awards would be very helpful.
If Mitey Riders initially approves a horse being considered for donation, the horse will be brought to Misty Meadows for a trial period that may last up to ninety days before officially being accepted into the program.
On behalf of all our riders, thank you for your interest in placing your horse at Misty Meadows Mitey Riders. It is only through the generosity of people like you that our riders can achieve remarkable accomplishments and experience the joy of riding a horse.
*We often accept horses/ponies older than 18 on our Mitey Rider Lease Program only. Please contact us for more information.